Sunday, May 1, 2011

Feast Week

We almost had two posts in the same month. Had I realized, though, that yesterday was the last chance for that, I doubt I would have tried much harder.

Most forms of exertion seemed out of place in the last week. We have been, to borrow from Chaucer, "Epicurus' own children" in the last seven days. We had a proper Lent this year, and thus we also had a proper Easter--which is to say, a proper feast. Last Sunday began with chocolate and sugar and caffeine, and included several more doses of such before the day was done.

We were more responsible for a few days during the week itself, but then Erin's birthday was Thursday, and the festivities surrounding that are only now winding to a close. (We in the Zoutendam West household prefer to celebrate the "birthweek".) Thursday's breakfast, at Erin's request, consisted of sprinkle cake with sprinkle frosting, topped with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. After school, we were honored as the special guests in some colleagues' weekly "Thirsty Thursday" gathering. (Cheap magaritas and appetizers at the Mexican joint in, of all places, the mall.) Friday saw us at the GPA after-prom party. Said party began at the hippest place we've ever been, a rooftop bar near downtown Phx, but some loud karaoke singers (not from our group) shut that down early, so we migrated to a downtown pub. Erin and I returned home at 2:00. As in, AM. Waaaaay past our teacher bedtimes. Finally, Saturday took us to a posh urban café, St. Francis, where we enjoyed brunch and beverages before touring Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd Wright's Arizona dwelling. (Incidentally, we can now check off two of the four major FLLW landmarks in the US.) A couple pictures, the first at the pub and the second at brunch:






So a busy, festive week. It was good to have some festivity, though. I know that I, at least, am feeling fatigue as we near the end of a full school year. It's not quite what it was in college, and there is more time for refreshment on weekends than there ever was at Hillsdale. Nevertheless, it has been a long year, and I am looking forward to the leisure of summer.

Of course, we have 3 weeks left, plus exams. That should leave us plenty of time to accrue good stories. Look for more to come.

4 comments:

  1. Philip didn't mention that one of my birthday dreams was fulfilled this year: I was the proud recipient of a giant birthday card signed by my entire algebra class. It was seventh-grade-girl-scrapbook-tastic and it included a wonderful portrait of a birthday cat with a little name-tag that said Barley. I was really touched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I want to get a giant-signed-by-loads-of-people birthday card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Erin is totally oblivious to the camera in the second photo and is much more interested in digging in, as I hope I would be as well. Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is risen! I loved reading about your "birthweek" adventures and your grand breaking of the Lenten fast, et al. Sounds like you two are loving it out there! I'm so glad to hear that.

    It's so strange to think that we're all finishing up our first year as teachers! Hope your school-year finishes gracefully. Just remember, the three best reasons (well, maybe not the best reasons) for being a teacher are right around the bend: June, July, and August!

    Take care, guys.

    PS. The word verification I was asked to type before it let me post this comment was "catolom," which sounds like a Hebraic feline salutation. How fitting for you, Erin...

    ReplyDelete