Sunday, August 15, 2010

Philip and Erin join the adult world.

Erin and I received the first installments of our salaries on Friday, so I suppose that means that we have officially become adults. Three cheers for growing up; a moment of silence for the passing of our youth.

We can confirm the stories of all other fledgling teachers: teaching is a lot of work, and it takes a lot of time. For me, at least, the past week was either school or sleep, with the scales tipped towards the former. It's not a bad life, though. There isn't any time to waste on television, you fall asleep when you hit the bed, and you don't have to worry about what you're doing with your life.

But school has good, profoundly good. Our students are bright and bright-eyed, and our classrooms are often joyful. Erin's students absolutely love her, particularly the 7th graders. They laugh at all of her jokes, and they yell out her math catch-phrases with glee. They love her so much that when we had our first fire drill on Friday, they were worried because Erin had to stay behind and lock up the classroom. They were genuinely worried for her safety.

My students are a little less enthusiastic about me, I think, but a few of them have laughed at one of my jokes, and they like the books we're reading together. Certainly my greatest victory so far was achieved on Friday, when my last period class was so riled up about Beowulf that they literally, explicitly asked to stay in the classroom after the bell so they could keep discussing/debating. Last period on a Friday, and they weren't ready to leave the classroom. That's rich.

Erin and I were happy, though, to reach the end of the week. First of all, we got paid. And then we promptly spent a significant percentage (not telling how much) at a restaurant downtown with some fellow teachers. Second, we've had some time to relax, clean, and buy some necessities. And tonight we'll be able to host people at the apartment for the first time. Erin plans to concoct one of the recipes from her Julia Child cookbook, and I plan to . . . help. In some way. I think I'll do most of the buying and cleaning.

That will be all for now. Thanks for reading. Godspeed.

Philip (for Erin and also Barley, who is sleeping next to me on the couch)

2 comments: